I am excited to share with you this Spanish bread recipe, this is quick and easy compared to the recipes I have tried. One thing I noticed with other recipes is the filling is always runny after baking which I don’t really care as long as the bread is moist after a day. I tried this recipe from Foxy Folksy which she cooks the filling instead of just mixing them together, the baking sheet is clean and no oozing of filling which is awesome. It means easy clean up right?
I spray my baking sheet with a cooking spray instead of a parchment paper. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong every time I use parchment paper my fire alarm always goes off. I could probably make one or 2 more pieces of bread if I flattened the dough right.
So my quest of searching for a better recipe of Spanish bread is done. I would make a way to recreate and come up with the proper measurements using coconut flour and almond flour combo to at least avoid some fat. I don’t know any other way to suppress my bread cravings other than making them a little healthier. Anyway, how do you make an easy Spanish bread at home in a little over an hour? Try the recipe below which I adapted from Foxy Folksy and let me know how it turn out. Enjoy.
Filipino Spanish Bread
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast or 1/4 oz packet
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 TBSP melted butter
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tsp flour
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/8 cup milk or water
- 1/2 cup brown or white sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs for rolling
- Step 1 Using a stand mixer bowl, add flour and yeast. In a smaller bowl, combine sugar, salt, milk and butter and warm in a microwave for 1 minute on high. Add the egg and beat until well blended.
- Step 2 Add the wet ingredients over to the dry ingredients. Attach your dough hook and beat under level 2 for 5 minutes.
- Step 3 Form the dough into a ball and let it rest in a greased bowl for 45 minutes or until doubled in size. Rising for the dough varies where you are and for the temperature around you.
- Step 4 For the filling, in a saucepan on medium- low heat, melt butter. Add the flour and mix well. When it starts to boil, add the milk or water, sugar, salt, and the bread crumbs. Continue stirring until thick and set aside.
- Step 5 Pre-heat the over for 325°F.
- Step 6 Punch the dough and roll in a floured surface or I use a non stick mat to roll my dough. Form the dough in a rectangular shape while rolling. Cut the dough in the middle first to be able to get a perfect pizza size shape.
- Step 7 Brush the middle part with butter and spread the filling. Make sure to start rolling from the wider end first. Roll in the bread crumbs and place them on a baking sheet with the end part sitting at the bottom so it won’t open up while baking. Cover with a cloth or plastic wrap and let it rise for 20 minutes or so. Remove cover before baking.
- Step 8 Place the baking sheet at the middle rack and bake it for 25 minutes at 325°F. Let it cool and enjoy.